The James Beard Awards are one of the biggest culinary awards in America, and the 2023 semi-finalists for the prestigious award were announced on Wednesday.
Read the full list here, with the Bay Area nominees below.
Now that the long list has dropped, a panel of judges will review the nominees to select a smaller number of finalists, which are expected to be announced on March 29. A gala will be held in Chicago on June 5 to announce the final. winners.
- Yuka Ioroi and Kris Toliao, Cassava, San Francisco, California
- David Nayfeld, Che Fico, San Francisco, CA
Outstanding Restaurant (Featured by Acqua Panna® Natural Spring Water)
- Mourad, San Francisco, California
Emerging Chef (featured by S.Pellegrino® Sparkling Natural Mineral Water)
- Vincent Medina and Louis Trevino, Café Ohlone, Berkeley, CA
Best New Restaurant
- Birch & Rye, San Francisco, CA
- Yasukochi’s Sweet Stop, San Francisco, CA
Outstanding Pastry Chef or Baker
- Vince Only, Viridian, Oakland, CA
Outstanding Hospitality (presented by American Airlines)
- Prime Rib House, San Francisco, California
Exceptional wine and other beverage program
- Lazy Bear, San Francisco, California
- Trick Dog, San Francisco, California
Best Chef: California
- Val M. Cantu, Californios, San Francisco, CA
- Kyle and Katina Connaughton, SingleThread, Healdsburg, CA
- Srijith Gopinathan, Ettan, Palo Alto, CA
- Matthew Kammerer, The Harbor House Inn, Elk, CA
- Intu-on Kornnawong, Jo’s Modern Thai, Oakland, CA
- James Syhabout, Clerk, Oakland, CA
- Craig Takehara, Binchoyaki, Sacramento, CA
- Pim Techamuanvivit, Kin Khao, San Francisco, CA
- Robbie Wilson, The Fantastic, San Francisco, CA
- Akira Yoshizumi, Sushi Yoshizumi, San Mateo, CA
Disclosure: Certain Vox Media staff members are electors of the James Beard Foundation Awards.